Kenya initiated its policy analysis based on stakeholder needs in December 2020 and concluded in July 2021 by prioritizing 5 policy questions. The prioritized policy questions were presented and passed by the Policy Advisory Committee as follows:
- The association between water, sanitation and hygiene and nutrition outcomes.
(A review of policies, programmes and budgets that can be linked to nutrition).
- Analysis of the Nutrition Situation within households where irrigation is practised.
- Review of school feeding programme regarding: Nutrition and Education outcomes considering institutional and administrative arrangements.
- Mapping and Harmonisation of nutrition sensitive indicators across sectors (agriculture, health, WASH&I, education, social protection) to facilitate food security and nutrition M&E processes.
- Review the targeting processes for nutrition-sensitive social protection programmes
Each of the 5 policy questions had a concept note which outlined a background that provided a situational analysis followed by research questions and/or hypotheses to be investigated by the proposed research, the policy relevance, literature review, approach/methodology, research outputs and communication plans.
The ongoing drafting of policy special papers is done through 5 committee writing teams comprising of relevant stakeholders in nutrition-related sectors such as: Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries and Cooperatives, Social Protection, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and UNICEF.
The planned activities before the launch of the special papers include but are not limited to:
- Multisector working retreats
- Peer review seminars
- Validation workshops for each special paper
- Dissemination conference